Hrvatski pomorski muzej Split

Gripe fortress

The Croatian Maritime Museum is situated in the courtyard of the Gripe Fortress. The fortress played a crucial part in Split’s history, especially during the Cretan war (1645-1669).

The Gripe Fortress was built in the mid-17th century, mostly in the year 1656, during repeated attempts by the Turks to seize the city. It gave shelter to the city’s inhabitants and saved the town from the terrible siege that took place in 1657.

The building represents a fine example of baroque bastion fortification and is of great historical importance. It is situated a short walk from the Roman city centre of Split, with magnificent views over the harbour.

This fortification was under military ownership for centuries, was granted to the city of Split in 1995.